My cravings and weather go hand in hand. Yeah! if its raining nothing is better than crunchy spicy mix pakodas with steaming ginger tea. What is better than hot steaming Kadhi Chawal with Spicy Aloo on any snowy day for lunch or dinner. Cucumber Sandwich with Cold Coffee can make me happy for lunch on any sunny summer afternoon. But when the sun is lazy and hiding somewhere and there is a nip in the air, my craving for slice of pound cake with my evening tea can push my lazy bum in the kitchen. No kidding! sometimes my cravings are really strong. And this was exactly what happened to me few days back. Whatever happens, happens for something good but in this case it was delicious.
Tutti Frutti was not in my mind but I decided to add it for color and my son’s love for them. While eating a slice, I got nostalgic about old school tea time cake that all of us have loved and relish -Britannia Fruit Cake. Oh! I still remember those two slices in my lunch box used to made my day. Either its a road trip with parents or picnic with friends Britannia fruit cake never disappointed our hunger pangs. Back then, no idea about baking I used to wonder sometimes “What is the recipe for this magical slice?” And now I realized making this cake from scratch to calm my own wicked craving have long roots and a story to tell……
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Tutti Frutti
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after adding each one, add vanilla and salt.
- With mixer on low, add flour in small batches, beating just until combined (do not over mix).
- Add tutti frutti mixed with little flour. Mix it well in cake batter.
- Pour the batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for an hour, until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Take it out and place it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy!