Long time no see! It has become a custom for me to start my blog with this expression these days. How are you guys doing? Officially its summer, long bright days are making me happy and more productive. Afternoons are really warm and sunny, compelling me to stay indoors and spending more time in exploring other blogs or browsing idly for some instant entertainment. I really like such lazy afternoons, sitting with my feet up on my favorite spot of the couch with laptop and relishing my penchant for hot cuppa of ginger tea. That’s the most creative and entertaining time of the day for me. I really like spending time with myself in the age when you hardly get any moment alone with all these what’s up, facebook, snapchat, twitter and what not…. Its not that I am against technology, I like it and using it to the best but spending some time with or for myself like old school are still in my priority.
While enjoying my own company last week, one afternoon I stumbled upon this video on you tube. Its about an old man going to a Irani bakery and bought a Mawa cake for himself. He ordered a cup of tea with it. While serving his tea a small boy broke the cup and spilled the tea. Another server came and try to hit the boy for his mistake but that old man blamed himself to save that small boy. While eating mawa cake a big piece fell on the floor by the old man. He tried hard but couldn’t reach it. He was disappointed and was really sad. But all of a sudden he realized there is another box of mawa cake on table. The owner of the café who was impressed by his kindness treated him with another box.
The moral of the story was “Believe in the magic of kindness”. The story was really simple but it touched the heart really deep. The name of the story was Mawa Cake. After watching the video I had this irrefutable urge to bake and eat a mawa cake. Very next morning I obliged my craving and baked the Mawa Cake.
How I wish, if I can share my mawa cake with the same old man. May Kindness rules and make this world more humanly and full of love.
- 1½ cups Cake Flour
- 1½ cups Castor Sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Khoya, grated
- 1½ tsp. Orange Blossom Water
- 1 tsp. Rose water
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6-7 Green Cardamom, powdered
- ½ cup Milk with ½ tsp. of crushed Saffron
- ½ cup Sliced Almonds
- Sliced Pistachios for garnishing
- Pre heat oven at 375F. Grease and line the bottom of the cake pan.
- Mix cake flour, salt, cardamom powder and baking powder.
- Whisk butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add khoya and whisk again while adding eggs one at a time.
- Add orange blossom water, rose water and milk. Mix it well.
- Now add dry mixture tbsp. at a time. Mix it well until all combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Finally add almonds and mix it.
- Pour it in a prepared tin.
- Garnish with pistachios and saffron thread.
- Bake it for around an hour until skewer inserted in a cake comes out clean.
- Cool it for 10 minutes.
- Serve with tea or coffee.