There are few things that seems to be so easy to do but the results are not always that good. Today we are talking about the dessert, that not only tastes delicious but the name also sounds really sweet. Mishti Doi means Meetha Dahi. It is the most popular dessert in Bengali cuisine other than Rasgulla. Mishti doi is a sweet yogurt that tastes so heavenly good and its probiotic nature is good for digestion too. The recipe sounds really simple like, setting a yogurt but my mind is always anxious for the result. I already experienced the disaster one time and that gives me nightmares even now ….. Yep! Sometimes simple things makes you realize the art of cooking. But this time I came out of this nightmare with flying colors. It not only looks authentically delicious but also tastes divinely blissful.
Traditional way of serving Mishti Doi are in earthen pots, that soak up all the water and gives the thick rich taste to yogurt. After eating rich festival food, a small pot of Mishti doi is refreshing for the palate and the tummy too.
There are many recipes to make Mishti Doi. This is the most basic recipe. Now, in the time of fusion food, one can add different flavors and served with fruits and different toppings.
- 1 liter Milk
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 1 tbsp. Unsweetened Yogurt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Essence
- Saffron threads
- Silvered Pistachios for garnishing
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed pan and reduce it to half.
- Let the milk cool down for some time.
- When its cool enough that one can put finger in the milk add condensed milk and vanilla essence.
- Mix it well.
- Now mix in the yogurt and pour it into an earthen pot.
- Garnish it with saffron and pistachios and leave it overnight.
- Once set, refrigerate it for a couple of hours and serve chilled.