Hello, friends. Happy Spring!
Weather has been really crazy this year. We already had a glimpse of spring weather in February. February was really mild, with no snow storm and the highest temperature was in 70’s. I remember the day with the highest in 70’s because it was so good outside in February that we wanted to fire the grill and enjoy the sunshine. But later that week we were again home arrest due to snow storm, wind and cold.
Spring rain, an epitome of romance but since last week this glistening rain that drenched the heart with love ruining my schedules, car, clothes and most important my shoes. (I hate rain boots!) Traffic, closed bridges, mess everywhere makes me more vulnerable to depression and the only saving grace that’s brings back my sanity is my “Ginger Tea”. Keeping my tea time in mind I wanted to bake a coffee cake that goes well with my tea and compliment the season too. While browsing Vikas Khanna’s book during my “me time” his apple saffron cake tickled my fancy and pushed me to wear the apron. The recipe was eggless and that makes it just perfect during sacred navratris week.
Thanks to my pantry, all the ingredients were available but I tweaked the recipe with a peach to make it more cordial to the season. The hustle and bustle in the kitchen while baking is so gratifying and the aroma enveloping the kitchen makes it a worth while! The yogurt and apple cider vinegar in cake to replace eggs did their job really well. The saffron caramel was the star of the evening and we are still relishing it with apple and bananas.
This cake is dedicated to celebrate arrival of spring and love for peaches. The day amidst rain, mess and chaos was so rewarding in the evening with a cup of steaming ginger tea and piece of delicious cake. Even the rain outside was so calming and blissful now, when the family is around, playing board games with this delicious treat.
Thank you Vikas Khanna
- For Caramel-
- 1 tsp. Saffron
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Butter, softened
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- Peach Slices as needed
- 1½ cup All- Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp. Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 cup Sugar
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 5 tbsp. Oil
- 1 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Crush saffron with sugar in mortar and pestle until well combined.
- Mix butter and saffron sugar until smooth.
- Cook the mixture in a heavy-bottom pan on medium heat.
- Cook it for 3-4 minutes and add peach when sugar begins to caramelize.
- Cook the peaches on low heat until soft.
- Now add cream and gently mix it.
- Keep it aside to cool down.
- Preheat oven at 350° F.
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar and orange zest.
- Now add oil, yogurt and vinegar. Mix it well until smooth with no lumps.
- Pour the batter in a greased baking pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the pan and carefully inverted the cake on serving plate.
- Arrange the pear slices on the cake and drip the caramel on edges of the cake.
- Serve with steaming coffee or tea.