I’m from north India, from U.P (now from Delhi I must say). Raksha Bandhan is a festival of love , no matter how much we fight with our brothers whole year on small small things , but today is one day we care for each others likeness.
Mithe Jave is one essential thing we cook on raksha bandhan. Jave is a kind of a small vermicelli. During in months of july and august (before Raksha bandhan) u can see mothers and grand mothers making jave all evening by hand for rakhi.
This is for you Bhaiya, though i know they are not as good as mummy make it.
- 1 cup Jave (roasted)
- 2½ cups of Milk
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder
- Kishmish, Almonds, Pistachios
- Few strands Saffron
- Coconut (shredded) for garnishing
- Boil milk and add Jave in the milk with cardamom pd, kishmish, saffron and sugar.
- Continue to boil on low heat until it becomes thick and jave are all cooked.
- Garnish with almonds, pistachios and coconut.
- Serve hot or cold but with lots of love…..
- (Jave absorbs milk when cool so make sure to have enough milk left when u switch off the gas)