I love snow days, sitting cozily on a couch with a hot ginger tea reading or writing for a blog watching small cotton balls falling down. Freshly fallen snow, white all around looks immensely beautiful and so serene. Busy lives take a pause, with no errands outside, no school, no office small family get together without rushing or planning for things. Everything is so peaceful and calm. But not for long….all of a sudden a bleak voice ” mommy, I’m bored,” will break your dream and ‘bang’ fall in to realities.
Bored and hungry, these two words takes you out of this cozy setup into action. To kill the boredom, I made these Lemon Cupcakes with/for my son on this serene beautiful day….
Well, lemon because in this freezing temperature my small Meyer lemon tree giving me surplus sunshine with its bounty of fruits.
- 1-1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 3 large Eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Extract
- 1/2tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk (at room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and place liners in a cupcake pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat sugar and butter together until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating on low speed, then mix in lemon extract.
- Add dry ingredients and buttermilk to mixture in alternating intervals.
- Turn speed up to medium, combining all ingredients until well mixed.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake liners, about half full.
- Bake for 18-20 min. or until cupcakes spring back to touch.
- Cool completely before topping with whipped cream frosting.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/3 cup Cream Cheese
- 4tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract
- Few drops of Yellow Color
- Pour heavy whipping cream, cream cheese and sugar into a chilled bowl and beat on low for 30–45 sec. or until well mixed.
- Add the lemon extract and increase speed to medium-high. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Add food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate topping until cupcakes have cooled.
- Decorate cupcakes.