It was a memorable week for my family, my niece turned 16 yesterday. When we chatted few days back, she asked me to bake a cake and send a video to her. Sweetheart, I am dedicating this cake post to you. Wishing you a very happy birthday and a great year ahead. Make us proud and stay happy and blessed! We all love you and always there for you.
Sixteen is really a special number. I remember my 16th birthday and more specifically remember what I wore on that day. Friends, cake, gifts, good food, lot of talking and fun makes the day memorable and beautiful. What else we want on a birthday right! Birthdays were so much fun at that age. I used to count the no of calls and cards I get on my birthdays, and single digit less can put me in depression, coz it shows I was loosing love, concern and attention. There was an honesty in friends and their messages. The amount of time they gave due to the carefree life at that time was precious. The card used to be full of colorful, hand written, funny and sometimes heartfelt messages. One of my very good friend never missed my birhday, she used to come every year either I am celebrating or not. And i still remember my other friend, who didn’t sleep all night and made a huge card for me. There are other friends too, I am not in touch with…but I really wanted to tell them, I still remember you all and thank you very much for your honest love, concern and making my birthdays really special and memorable. Thank you very much.
Gosh! It feels like I am already celebrating friendship day on this platform. I do believe, not to wait for any special occasion to vent out your feelings regarding someone or something. So, just share what I felt this very moment. But Yayy! Mother’s day is this weekend and I already had a post in the draft to celebrate this occasion. We will talk about this beautiful relationship and my experiences in the coming post.
Either you are celebrating or not but the presence of a cake itself gives a sense of jollity all around. If my metabolism started to work the way I wanted, I can and I will eat cake before and after every meal. I love to bake but the only issue is I just can’t abandon my creation at the mercy of others palate. I have a penchant for Mousse cakes these days. The moist creamy cake with a mirror glaze on top and covered with garnishes of fresh fruits, macaroons or edible flowers.
Freeze dried fruit powders are very popular and in demand these days. I tried dragon fruit powder for this cake. It gave very nice color and taste to the frosting and glaze. We can use these powders for smoothies, in baking and frosting. I will try to use the same powder in other recipes and will share soon.
One very important thing required to make a good mousse cake is a cake molds. If you don’t have one, use acetate strips to support frosting while refrigeration. It is a very simple cake as no tedious decoration is needed to looks beautiful. I used strawberry cake in this recipe and its optional. You can use any sponge cake, eggless or with eggs, in any shapes and sizes. If you are looking for good sponge cake recipe please let me know or google can help you as per your requirement. Use Agar Agar for the vegetarian option for gelatin.
Happy Mother’s Day in advance. Enjoy the best relationship gifted to a women by a supreme power.
- Sponge Cake (I cut small circles of strawberry cake for mini individual cake)
- ½ cup Sugar Syrup with Orange blossom water
- 2 packets unflavored Gelatin Powder
- ¼ cup. Water
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp. dried Dragon Fruit Powder
- 1 tbsp. Orange Blossom Water
- 1 pack Strawberry flavored Jello
- 1 tbsp. dried Dragon Fruit Powder
- Water as needed.
- Silvered Pistachios and fruits for garnishing
- For the Mousse- Mix cream and sugar and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Take water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over the top.
- Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds, until clear and dissolved.
- Add dragon fruit powder, gelatin mixture and orange blossom water in the cream.
- Fold it gently to retain volume.
- For the Mirror Glaze- Prepare jello according to the instructions on the pack., Add dried dragon fruit powder while mixing jello in hot water. Add ice cold water to cool the jello faster.
- Cut the cake rounds in halves.
- Place the first half cake in the mousse mold. Sprinkle tbsp. of sugar syrup all over it.
- Pour a layer of mousse over it.
- Now place the second half of the cake and pour a thick layer of mousse again..
- Likewise make all the mini mousse cake and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Now pour the glaze on top and further refrigerate to set overnight or until glaze is all set.
- For serving, run the knife along the sides of the cake and remove the cake from the mold.
- Garnish the sides of the cake with silvered pistachios.
- Decorate the top with your favorite fruits.
- Serve and enjoy!